Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Crafting On/Yarn Along -10 July 2018


I didn't get so much knitting done on holidays, but I did get this far on my new scarf:
Then I got home and turned it into this:
BTW, this is a much closer representation of the actual colour.  When we got home I was looking at it and finally decided I just wasn't 'feeling' that pattern.  It's a good pattern and I may make it again some time for an actual scarf, but what I need is an 'around the house' shawl.  Though now that we have the outdoor corn furnace I don't 'need' house shawls quite so much as before.
So now, I've cast on 449 sts and have started this:
It's the Stora Dimun shawl out of my Folk Shawls book.  I've had this book for a long time but this is the first shawl I've knit from it.  It's a Faroese style shawl, which means it has extra shaping at the shoulders which make it sit better.  We'll see.
You may have noticed that I haven't been working on Grandma's new sweater.  It's worsted weight wool and I just can't deal with it in this heat and humidity.  When the nice weather comes back I'm sure I'll pull it out again.  Grandma's finally taken off her sweat shirts, so she's fine for a while -ha ha!
I may not have done much knitting on holiday, but I did get a nice bit of reading (I love my Kindle).  I finished A Room with a View.  Remember a while ago, the book Vanessa and Her Sister?  Well, E.M. Forster was a friend of theirs and played a part in that book.  Also, remember the '85 movie?  I have always loved period films, and that one has two of my favourite actresses -Maggie Smith and Helena Bonham Carter.  I wish we had Netflix because I'd love to watch it again.  The other book I really enjoyed was Call the Nurse.  It's the true story of a public health nurse living in the Hebrides in the 70's.   There is a second one, but I'll have to watch for it to come on sale for Kindle.

No comments: