Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Yarn Along -9 July 2014



Yarn Along this week shows very little progress.   I messed up when I re-knit the beginning of the shawl (calculated the increase wrong) so I had to rip it out a second time.  This time it's right.


As you can see, my knitting time was also used up for some new reading.  I used some of my election money to splurge at the book store (or Chapters in this case).  Not pictured were a couple of novels Ella needs for school this year. Fairy House Handbook is for Ella too.  I wish we had a bit of bush around the house, it's so hard to find building material. 100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet: A Collection of Beautiful Blooms for Embellishing Garments, Accessories, and More is a book I've wanted for a while.  Ever since I saw this on Ravelry:

noname-1_small2

A Continual Feast: A Cookbook to Celebrate the Joys of Family & Faith throughout the Christian Year this book was suggested by Elizabeth.  I find it quite interesting.  It's mostly recipes, but it gives historical information and it doesn't forget that we Protestants celebrate the liturgical year too.  It's a bit fish-heavy though.  Not only would I go broke buying that much fish up here, we're just not fish people.  Also, the author gives a really bad piece of advice near the beginning.  She tells the reader to let kids help (good advice) but to make sure to give them a very dull knife because "children are always falling off a stool".  REALLY?!   If the child can't reach the table, maybe cutting isn't a good job.  No one should ever cut with a dull knife.  Dull knives are DANGEROUS.  You have to press harder and it increases the risk of cutting yourself.  Ella has always sliced and diced with my sharpest knives.  A sharp knife does the work for you.  OK, I'm off my soapbox now -ha ha!

I did have one other book The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays: 135 Step-by-Step Recipes for Simple, Scrumptious Celebrations but I decided to return it.  There just weren't enough recipes that I would actually make.  It's very much an American book, I think.  All dips, drinks, and hot stuff.  Not our kind of foods (unlike her other books).

No comments: