Friday, July 25, 2014

Farm Girl Friday -25 July 2014

farm-girl-friday
 
Last year I used some of my 'egg money' to buy a dehydrator and a pressure canner.  Life got so busy I didn't get a chance to try them.  This year, since we aren't busy with Market, I finally got a chance.


6 pints of yellow beans ready to go.


The pressure canner wasn't as scary as people make it seem.  Though I did have a problem keeping the pressure at 11.  Will have to watch that more next time.  I also made some dilly beans for the first time.  Just made a half recipe to see if we (me and mom) like them.


Colin processed a few of our meat birds.  Once he got the water hot enough he was able to do 1 bird in 20 minutes (I won't tell you how long the first one took).  They were 9-11 lbs each.  I love a big chicken.  If you are going to the trouble/mess of roasting a chicken make it a big one.  Then you have meat for a long time.


And a final first for Farm Girl Friday this week - TOMATOES!!!   I made these into toasted tomato 
sandwiches and they were so yummy

No comments: