Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Yarn Along -24 August 2011

Wow, there are so many links over at Ginny's Yarn Along this week and it's only 11 am!  It's so much fun to see what the other knitters are working on.  Here's my contribution:


We've had some lovely cool weather for a few days.  I've picked up Grandma's blanket again.  It's only supposed to be a lap blanket, but I'm not sure how big to make it.  Any suggestions?  I really like the Bernat Mosaic.  I may have to get some more and try a Baby Surprise Jacket  I bet it would be beautiful.

I'm reading Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff.  I got it from the library for our holiday but didn't get around to reading it.  It's off to a slow start and needs to pick up soon.  I don't have time for reading books I don't enjoy.

Here's an easy meal to toss in the oven so you can have more knitting/reading time.  It uses a butterflied chicken, our grocery store has been carrying them lately at the same price as a whole chicken.

This chicken comes already seasoned.  They call it wild garlic and herb.  Cut up some root vegetables, I used potatoes, onions and carrots.  Cut them into largish pieces.  I left the carrots whole, just cut in the middle.  I love carrots fresh from the garden.  Sprinkle the vegetables with some oil and toss to coat.  Pile the veggies in the middle of the roasting pan and top with the chicken.  Now you have  a choice here.  You can roast the chicken at 450F for 30-40 minutes or 350 for 45 minutes.  I like the lower temperature because it makes less mess of my oven and less chance to burn the vegetables.

Ella loves dressing, so I made my usual recipe and cooked it in a foil baggie.  To make the baggie, cut off a piece of tin foil twice the size you think you need.  Fold in half lengthwise.  Then fold in half again.  Fold over the sides 2-3 times to make an envelope-type shape.  Spray with a bit of oil and fill carefully.  Fold the top closed and bake with roast for about 30 minutes.





For minimal prep time and just 45 minutes unattended in the oven, you end up with a yummy roast chicken supper.  By the way, the carrots were delicious this way.  They had an almost sweet taste to to them.  Will definitely be doing this again.

No comments: