Friday, October 1, 2010

Knitting

I thought I'd show you all my haul from the weekend  :)  As usual, we got to Bowmanville in time to go to my favourite yarn shop, Soper Creek Yarn.  Tina always has a great selection of wool and most at very reasonable prices.  I always stock up when we are down south.
We'll start at the top right.  That red (which is a nicer red in person) and the pattern behind it are for a nice little shrug for Ella.  The yarn is a wool blend.  Next come two different colours of Kroy for socks, the blue is likely for my MIL.  Next comes the beautiful yarn that 'Colin' got me for our anniversary.  It is alpaca/merino/silk/nylon and just gorgeous.  I'm going to make myself a sontag.  It's like a shawl that buttons on, it's from the civil war era.

The last two things didn't come from Tina's.   Do any of you know who the Yarn Harlot is?  She a knitting writer and has a blog too.  Well she's mentioned going to a yarn store called Lettuce Knit.  We went there on Saturday, it's in the Kensington Market are of Toronto.  It's a very historic part of Toronto, filled with very interesting people.  Ella picked out the variegated pink merino.  I don't know what I'll make with it, it's rather fine, but I will think of something.  I also bought the commemorative edition of Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitters' Almanac.  It's one of my favourite books.  They have redone the example pictures and they are in colour this time.  There is even a bonus pattern.  My favourite baby sweater pattern (February sweater) has been made into a ladies sweater.  I can't wait to get started on that.

Lots of knitting fun ahead of me.

Speaking of anniversary presents....  I finally got Colin's sweater finished.  I won't tell you how long ago I started this sweater, but I finished it for our 7th anniversary (wool).  It fits Colin really well and looks great.  Now he just has to remember to wear it once in a while  -ha ha!

4 comments:

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

That is so awesome that you knitted your hubby a sweater for your anniversary. How sweet! Glad you got such a good deal on all your wool needs :)

Diann said...

Paula, you are sooo talented! I love the sweater for Colin! That's a gorgeous color. With the winter weather you get there, the sweater will come in handy! Looks like you're going to have a lot of knitting projects to keep you busy this winter!

Paula said...

Thank you! The sweater isn't that difficult. The patterning is just knits and purls. Cables look harder than they really are. Colin looks really nice in navy. It'll be nice to see Colin in a sweater that actually fits (his mom didn't buy him 'tall' tops).

Julie said...

Love the sweater! Such a sweet present! :-)