Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Easter's Coming


My helper and I made hot cross buns on Monday.  We shared some with Auntie Lizzie and with Grandpa and Grandma.  It's what we give them for Christmas every year - a treat every month for the year.  Elizabeth works and so doesn't have much time for baking, and my MIL isn't well a lot so doesn't do much either, both love to get home baked treats and it's always a surprise.


Ella loves to help me when I'm making bread products.  She likes to make 'bread' with the extra pieces while I'm shaping (or whatever) the other piece.  She's really getting good at rolling -with the rolling pin and rolling up sticky buns. 

I don't use a specific hot cross bun recipe.  I just used my challah recipe and added 1T cinnamon, 1 t nutmeg and 1/2 t mace.  I also added about 2 good handfuls of raisins -not sure how many, just kept adding until it looked like enough.  I don't use citron or other peel because I don't like it.  This is the main reason I make hot cross buns, I hate having to pick through store bought ones looking for peel   Gee I wonder where Ella gets her picky tendencies from?  :)

No comments: