Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spring?

Two Sundays ago, Colin thought he'd get a jump on the season and plant a few cool weather crops in his greenhouse.  This is the first we've ever tried planting this early.  As you can see, he's using Ella's old wading pool to start some radishes and green onions.  On another shelf he's got lettuce and spinach.  Colin has draped plastic around the beds (to stop drafts) and has a heat lamp, just in case.



It's a good thing he did, because this is what we woke up to on Monday.  Guess March is trying to go out like a lion after all.  It came down fairly heavily for a while, but was all melted by the afternoon.  We really did need the moisture, but it sure put a damper (no pun intended) on Ella's bike riding.  It was cold.


This is the beautiful sight in my garden today.   And yesterday it was cool enough with just my sweater doing groceries.  I made Ella wear her winter coat, but I was good.  A few more days of sunshine and warmth and my bluebells should be flowering.


They are calling for 23C by the weekend.  That will feel positively balmy compared to the start of the week.  I just hope people don't get too crazy and strip down too far.  I don't need a spring cold caught by someone who doesn't know how to dress for the time of year!  I hope we get the nice weather, I really need to get out in my garden.  There's not much in flowers yet, but the grass is certainly getting a good head start  :)

No comments: