Thursday, May 14, 2009
More Wedding Stuff
I just realized I forgot to share a picture of our little flower girl. This is Brittany, Colin's niece. She was 5 at our wedding, where does the time go? She surprised me and did a great job -I worried she'd get too shy to walk down the aisle.
The pattern is Martha Pullen's Heirloom Party Dress -the best pattern investment, every size you could need and so many ideas.
I'll give a few more details about my dress. I used a period pattern for the skirt, it's from "Patterns of Fashion" by Janet Arnold. It was easy to adjust to size. I didn't feel like tackling sizing the bodice, so I turned to Drea Leed's fabulous site. I made the kirtle as a corset/underskirt. And then made a pattern for the bodice of the dress to go over top of the kirtle. I've used her site before for my medieval garb and it always turns out so nice. I made the kirtle out of very heavy cotton (with full Edwardian petticoat underneath to make enough pouf). My dress itself was of very fine cotton batiste. I made the dress for less that $300.
My veil was proper veiling material, not tuile. A great source for hard to find material is Farthingale's It was cut to a 94 inch circle (keep in mind I'm only 5ft) -yep that's 295 inches of crocheted lace that I couldn't start making until the size was determined. My dress and veil were chapel length. Not really a train, more like the bit of drag common in Victorian times. We were only getting married in a little country church, I didn't need full cathedral length. That and it would have looked a little over done for someone my height :) The veil came down over my face and hung down about elbow length. I really recommend a circle, it made it hang so nice and looked great in pictures.
I loved making my wedding dress. I'm one of those girls who have always known what her wedding would look like -just needed to fill in the groom -haha. The hardest thing was not showing Colin as each piece was finished. I love to sew beautiful things.