Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Yarn Along -3 February 2016

yarnalong_gsheller_aqua

I have negative knitting to share for Yarn Along this week.  Well, technically I finished the plain pair of socks for Ella.  But they were whisked away, worn, and thrown in the laundry before I got a picture.  But I'm sure you all can imagine what they looked like.

Why is it negative knitting this week?  Because I ripped out the sweater I had started for Belinda.  I don't know what the designer was thinking when she made the sweater at sport gauge (24 sts/4 inches) with fingering (28-32 sts/4 inches) sized yarn.  I gave it a real try, but it was horrible.  It was like a shawl with sleeves.  It didn't look like the picture and was going to be far to hard for my laundry-impaired sister to manage.  So now what?  I'm making my own version of that sweater.  I'm using all the lace/cable charts of the original with the numbers from my favourite bookKnitter's Handy Book of Top-Down Sweaters: Basic Designs in Multiple Sizes and Gauges.  Unfortunately with the new gauge I need more yarn.  I have a desperate email into Knit Picks (still waiting).  But worst comes to worst and I'll take apart the new socks I made (haven't worn yet).  If I mix in the rows the different dye lot shouldn't be noticeable.

I've also started a new purse knitting project.  Just a regular pair of socks for me.  Toe-up since I only have the one skein.  That's the beauty of this sock formula.  It works (supposedly) for any size yarn.  I'll let you know.

No comments: