Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Knitting and Crocheting Blog Week -It's All About You


Today we're supposed to blog about ourselves.  So I thought I'd do a "10 Things You Don't Know About Me" post.

1.  I grew up in a small town in southern Ontario called Bowmanville.  I never intended to marry a farmer and move out to the 'boonies'.  But I am so glad that I did.  This is where I'm meant to be.

2.  I hate the dark.  Like seriously.  I stayed with a friend once who lived in the basement.  The bedroom was so dark, I woke up in the night and actually had an asthma/panic attack!

3.  Growing up all I wanted to do was get married and have babies.  It soon became clear, at school, that that wasn't a suitable answer to "what I wanted to be".  I would say 'nurse' or 'teacher'.  So much for the feminist ideal that a woman can be 'whatever she wants to be'.

4.  I worked 8 years in the 'back office' of a stock brokerage in downtown Toronto.  It's the same place Auntie Belinda now works.  Luckily I was rescued (yes, rescued) and have been 12 years at the best job in the world.

5.  My musical taste is rather eclectic.  But I really I love 80's music.  Especially the 'hair bands'.  In concert I've seen: Def Leppard, Areosmith (who I met), Pink Floyd, John Cougar Mellencamp, April Wine, Triumph, Crash Test Dummies, Johnny Cash, Irish Rovers, and Great Big Sea.

6.  I have far too much fabric and far too much yarn -but don't tell Colin I said that.

7.  I actually enjoy doing laundry and grocery shopping.  But I hate having to schlep it all around.  If someone else hung the laundry outside (and brought it back in) and put the groceries away after I get home, I would be much happier.

8.  I had an abusive childhood.  My dad would say lots of hurtful things.  I used to wish he would hit me so I could have bruises for evidence to get us help.  Some days Colin still  has to deal with the fallout from that.  Ella has a guarded relationship with my dad.  He seems to have changed in his old age.  I hope it's true.  But I watch...

9. I went through the entire Guiding program.  I was a Brownie, a Guide, a Pathfinder, and a Cadet (not to be confused with army/air cadets).  I earned my All Round cord and my Canada cord.  It might be different now (the programs are so easy), but not many girls earned those!

10.  I wouldn't change a thing, because then I wouldn't be me.  I wouldn't have met Colin and I wouldn't have my beautiful girl.



No comments: