Today we're supposed to blog about ourselves. So I thought I'd do a "10 Things You Don't Know About Me" post.
1. I grew up in a small town in southern Ontario called Bowmanville. I never intended to marry a farmer and move out to the 'boonies'. But I am so glad that I did. This is where I'm meant to be.
2. I hate the dark. Like seriously. I stayed with a friend once who lived in the basement. The bedroom was so dark, I woke up in the night and actually had an asthma/panic attack!
3. Growing up all I wanted to do was get married and have babies. It soon became clear, at school, that that wasn't a suitable answer to "what I wanted to be". I would say 'nurse' or 'teacher'. So much for the feminist ideal that a woman can be 'whatever she wants to be'.
4. I worked 8 years in the 'back office' of a stock brokerage in downtown Toronto. It's the same place Auntie Belinda now works. Luckily I was rescued (yes, rescued) and have been 12 years at the best job in the world.
5. My musical taste is rather eclectic. But I really I love 80's music. Especially the 'hair bands'. In concert I've seen: Def Leppard, Areosmith (who I met), Pink Floyd, John Cougar Mellencamp, April Wine, Triumph, Crash Test Dummies, Johnny Cash, Irish Rovers, and Great Big Sea.
6. I have far too much fabric and far too much yarn -but don't tell Colin I said that.
7. I actually enjoy doing laundry and grocery shopping. But I hate having to schlep it all around. If someone else hung the laundry outside (and brought it back in) and put the groceries away after I get home, I would be much happier.
8. I had an abusive childhood. My dad would say lots of hurtful things. I used to wish he would hit me so I could have bruises for evidence to get us help. Some days Colin still has to deal with the fallout from that. Ella has a guarded relationship with my dad. He seems to have changed in his old age. I hope it's true. But I watch...
9. I went through the entire Guiding program. I was a Brownie, a Guide, a Pathfinder, and a Cadet (not to be confused with army/air cadets). I earned my All Round cord and my Canada cord. It might be different now (the programs are so easy), but not many girls earned those!
10. I wouldn't change a thing, because then I wouldn't be me. I wouldn't have met Colin and I wouldn't have my beautiful girl.