Sunday, May 3, 2015

Delicious Smoked Ham


Our local butcher shop, Reiche Meats, makes a delicious smoked ham.  Even though it's no longer our pork it's still really good.  Here's a new way that  I think will become the only way I'll make ham.  I'm not much of a ham fan, but this recipe might change my mind.

GLAZED SMOKED HAM
6 lb smoked ham
1 apple, cored and chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic, smashed
350 ml apple cider (non-alcoholic)
8 black peppercorns
1 t sage
1/2 t rosemary
2 bay leaves

Put all this into a really large pot (I have to use my pressure canner).  Add enough water to cover the ham by about an inch.  Simmer for 3 1/2 hours.

Remove the roast from pot and put in a roasting pan on a rack.  Remove the rind and a lot of the fat (leave some though).  Liberally cover with brown sugar and sprinkle with about 1/4 t cloves.  Roast 400F for 30 minutes.  Baste carefully with leftover cooking liquid.

Yum!

I would normally serve this with scalloped potatoes, but next time I'll have to find something else.

No comments: