Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Recipes

I love to roast meat.  It's the easiest way to feed my family.  Usually just throw the meat in the oven and walk away for a few hours.  Who needs '30 Minute Meals ' when you can have a 5 minute one?
 

Tomato Pot Roast -feeds 6
4 lb beef roast -we prefer blade
salt/pepper/garlic powder to taste
1 onion, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 t thyme
1-2 T cornstarch (optional)

Sprinkle the roast with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  In a skillet, brown roast (about 3 min a side).  Put roast in your casserole.  In skillet add onions and other vegetables and saute.  Add in tomatoes and thyme.  Carefully pour over roast.
Put on lid and simmer 325 F for 3 hours.  You could add potatoes for the last 30 minutes, but we don't like them that way.  Instead I tossed some in the oven to bake for the last 90 minutes.  I also dissolve the cornstarch with a bit of water and add for the last few minutes because I like a thicker 'sauce'.

Here's another favourite.  I like to make this when we have leftover steak or chicken.

Steak Pizza
pizza dough -this is our favourite
cooked steak or chicken -amount depends on size of pizza
BBQ sauce -we like Diana's chicken and rib sauce
shredded mozzarella 

Can't get easier than that??  Roll out your pizza dough the way you like -individual or one big pizza.  Cover with BBQ sauce.  Thinly slice/shred the meat.  Sprinkle with cheese.  If I had the time to caramelize some onions, they would be good on here too but I always seem to think of them too late.

Bake 350F for 30 min.


One last recipe.  I'm not sure where this originated but it's all over the internet so I thought I'd share my version too.

KFC Inspired Chicken

chicken thighs -mine was a package of 12 
2 c flour                                             3 1/2 t paprika
1 t salt                                                1 t pepper
1 t sage                                              1 t oregano
1 t tarragon                                     1 t parsley
1/2 t thyme                                     1 t chives (dried)
1/2 t garlic powder                      1/2 t onion powder
1/4 t celery seed

Combine all the dry ingredients in a plastic bag.  Add chicken a couple at a time and shake to cover.  You could dip the chicken in beaten egg first, but I found the coating stuck just as well to the plain skin (and I was being lazy that day).  Put in a roasting pan, skin side up.  You could use a wire rack in the pan to help with the fat.  

Roast 350F for 1 hour

This chicken didn't taste 'exactly' like KFC.  I don't think you ever can recreate commercial recipes.  BUT this sure made some tasty chicken and you can be sure we'll be making this recipe again and again.

No comments: