Monday, January 20, 2014

Recipes

Here's a couple more recipes.

Garlic Roast Chicken

Roast a head of garlic with 1T oil, in a foil pouch.  1 hour at 425F.  The house will smell sooooo good.  Squeeze garlic cloves into 1/2 c softened butter and mix till smooth.
Rinse and dry a whole chicken (don't forget to remove the inside baggie).  Spread garlic butter over and under skin.  Salt and pepper generously.   Tie up chicken.  Baste occasionally. 

 Cook until roast is 175F.

Roast 325F for 30min per pound.

I don't stuff this chicken, I'm worried the amount of butter would make the dressing too greasy.  If you do try it, let me know.  I usually just make the dressing in a casserole for this dish, but it just doesn't taste the same as when cooked in the chicken.
 
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this.  But I find when I cook with a local raised chicken they only take about 1/2 the time the store-bought chickens take.  I guess it's the water/saline that they inject store chicken with to keep them plump.  I love being able to buy local whole chickens.

I don't make white cake very often.  It's usually chocolate all the time here  :)  I make this one to use up eggs.  It's also a good firm cake if you are doing a fancy cake for a celebration.  This is the recipe I used for Jack and Isobel's 40th anniversary party.

1-2-3-4 Cake              
     
1 c butter                      
  2 c white sugar
3 c flour                  
 4 eggs
2 t cream of tartar    
1 t baking soda
2 t vanilla                  
1 c milk or water

Cream butter and sugar. 
 Beat in eggs.  

Combine dry ingredients. 

 Then add alternately with the milk/water and vanilla.

Pour into greased and 
floured cake pan.

Bake 350F        45 min for 9x13 pan
                              30 min for 9x9 pan

**also makes 3 dozen cupcakes

'Buttercream' Icing    -makes 3 cups

1/2 c shortening                                 1/2 c butter
1 t vanilla                                               4 c icing sugar
2 T milk                                                optional 3/4 c cocoa (will need more milk)

Cream butter and shortening.  Add vanilla and icing sugar.  Add cocoa if using.  Add enough milk to make spreadable icing.

No comments: