Monday, July 27, 2009

no title

This recipe comes from my Great-Grandma's cookbook -Kate Aitken's Canadian Cook Book It's one of those books I like to sit and read even when I'm not looking for a recipe. It's not very "chatty" but I find Kate's "Note to Brides" interesting and a window into a world gone by.

Chicken a la King

3-4 lb chicken, or 3 cups leftover chopped chicken (bite size)

if using raw chicken, simmer in water with a chopped onion and a couple whole cloves until cooked. Cool chicken (saving broth) and remove from bones and chop.

In a largish saucepan (I use my non-stick) melt 3T butter and 2 T green relish, cook till tender. Add 5 T flour or cornstarch and cook 1 minute. Add 1 1/2 cups broth (or gravy) and cook over medium heat until thick and smooth -stirring constantly. Add 3/4 cup cream (milk will work), 1 eggs and the chopped chicken. Heat to boiling, but don't boil.

Serve over toast cups or patty shells.


This week's beef roast is too big for the crock pot, so I'll do it in the oven. Nothing fancy.

7lb beef roast
sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder
a little water in the bottom of the pan to prevent smoking

Roast 350F for approximately 20min a pound, until it reaches 160F for medium. I always use my digital meat thermometer with an alarm -no more overcooked meat.

No comments: