Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Romantic Valentine's Day -Not!

I had a nice quiet Valentine's Day planned for my Sweetie and me. Grandma had Miss Muffet sleeping over until Sunday. The only thing we had to do was go to a potluck/annual general meeting for the Ottawa Valley Food Co-op. It's an online group of Ottawa Valley farmers/producers. It's amazing the variety of things you can order. Order week is the second week of the month. Then on the third Saturday of the month, we producers take the orders to Pembroke where they are sorted and delivered to a variety of central locations for customer pick-up. It's surprising how far our products go, there is such a demand for local stuff. We've belonged for nearly a year, check us out here, it's a good overview of our farm too. I need to get a new picture, that one is nearly 2 years old, but Ella looks so cute. Maybe when it warms up some we'll try for a new Ella/piggie picture.

Back to my Valentine's day. We had fun at the potluck, it's good to talk with the other OVF people, we really don't know them. Most of the food was good. I made a marinated shoulder roast. Then the meeting started. It went on and on and on! It was 6 before we got home, Colin still had to chore. So much for my romantic supper and dessert I was going to make. We ended up with leftover pork and 5 minute rice when Colin finally got in for supper at 7:30. By then we were tired and I had a headache, so we just watched a dvd (Grapes of Wrath) and went to bed early. Not exactly what I had planned.

We've both been made board members for the OVF. They have a regular meeting/potluck coming up in March (if they can ever agree on a date) I sure hope it's shorter than the AGM.

Here's the marinated pork recipe, mix all this in a zipper bag and put in the pork roast the night before for best results. Though it's yummy done this way just before cooking too.

6 cloves garlic, minced 2 Tbsp oil
1 tsp ground pepper 2 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika 1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp thyme 3lb pork shoulder roast

Take from bag and put in roasting pan, do not cover. Roast 350F for 30 minutes a pound, or until meat thermometer reads 165F.

Had I been home in time, I would have made my Grandma's chicken cacciatore for supper. It's the first meal I made for Colin when we were dating. It needs to simmer most of the afternoon.

Chicken Cacciatore
3lb chicken pieces, we use thighs 1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced salt & pepper, to taste
28oz stewed tomatoes 28 oz tomato sauce
1/4 cup red wine 1/4 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf

Brown the chicken in a little oil. Add everything into a dutch oven. Cover and simmer all afternoon until the house smells wonderful :) Don't use a crock pot, the sauce doesn't reduce and is too runny. If you really want to do this "old school" serve with Italian/French bread, green beans and roast potatoes -yummmmmmm!

3 comments:

Niki said...

I hadn't heard of OVFC. Unfortunately all the locations are too far for me. We are just outside of Carleton Place.

About Homeschooling, the best advice I can give is to attend the Rideau Valley Home Educators Assoc.

http://www.rvhea.org/ is the link.

They have their annual conference coming up and it's excellent. I would highly recommend it, you will be able to attend workshops, look through different resources and books and meet other parents.

I started homeschooling when my kids were in grade 5 and 7. I used a mishmash of different curriculums. I loved Christian Light, Abeka for social studies, not for grammar though! I liked the readers from Pathway Publishers, they may be excellent for your little one. Lots of crafts, music and readalouds are the best with limited "table time/desk work, for young children.

I would really encourage you to go to the conference, though, it's great. Email me with any specific questions, glad to help if I can :)
Blessings
Niki

SquishyCuteStuff said...

I am going to have to make this chicken cacciatore one of these days! Do you serve it over rice/noodles or anything?

I may have said this before, but I am a BIG proponent of those enamel-coated cast iron dutch ovens. Some of them are crazy-expensive (like Le Creuset), but you can get off brands for a decent price. Last year, Matt got me one for my birthday (the Martha Stewart one from Macy's, on sale of course!). When you cook chicken in it, it is so tender and juicy!

Paula said...

Niki, thanks for the link. I was hoping to find a homeschool convention nearby. Ah, Carleton Place, I've been trying to figure out where you were. They deliver as far south as Arnprior, Burnstown and Dacre. Is Carleton Place far from Arnprior? I'm still new enough up here that I'm not sure :)

Hi Squishy, we serve the chicken with potatoes, not on anything. Though if we are having mashed potatoes the sauce is yummy on them. We're not big on rice and noodles, though DH likes them and I should have them more. I would love an enamel/cast iron dutch oven. Right now I have the teflon one and the stainless steel one that came with my pan sets. I would love to get some cast iron pots, my friend said it would help my iron issues. But they are so expensive and so heavy when full. I envy you guys in the States. Ever since Martha's "unfortunate incarceration", I can't get all her great projects (Zellers dropped her like a hot potato).