Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Knitting and Crochet Blog Week 2013 -Day 2


emoticons

OK, today's task is a Mascot project.  We're supposed to blog about "a project that embodies that house/animal...either of the animal itself or something that makes you think of the qualities of that house"
So right off I found this pattern for a bee skep teapot cozy.

beeskepcosywebsitepic_medium2
It's really cute and I'm kind of on a teapot cozy kick after making a few last year.  But then I remembered the "but can flit from one interesting project to the next as bright and shiny things capture their interest" quality of the House of Bee, so...

Evenstar__8__medium2

Here is the Evenstar shawl.  Wow, it is so beautiful!  I just want to stuff all my WIP's behind the chesterfield and start this shawl.  It makes my fingers actually itch to start knitting.  One of the only things that hold me back is I'd have to buy the yarn.  If I had the right stuff in my stash, I'd have a very hard time resisting.
And just to prove how distracted I can be by "bright and shiny things"

IMG_1909_medium2
This dress is so amazing.  But it also shows how 'flighty' I am.  This dress has no place in my life at this time, nor would it fit/flatter this body I'm currently dealing with -but, sigh!

How do I make my decisions for projects?  That's a hard one.  Before Ravelry I owned a lot of books, but they get so dated so fast.  I also possess a lot of my Grandma's knitting books.  But those are mostly baby books or else snug fitting 40's sweaters and dresses.  Now that I have Ravelry, I often just stop by and see what patterns they are profiling that day.  Or I have an idea of what I want ( a scarf or toy or whatever) or I have a certain yarn I want to use.  I just plug all the information into the pattern search section and see what Ravelry suggests.  More often than not I find the perfect pattern -bonus, they are usually free or really cheap.  No more having to spend $50 on a knitting book for one or two usable patterns.

How do you choose your next craft project?

No comments: