Monday, August 24, 2009

Knitting

I've been doing a fair bit of knitting these days, in my spare time (ha ha). I made some lace bookmarks for our OVF site, plus some Christmas socks. I'm working on a sweater for Ella, but keep getting pulled away by more interesting patterns (a fault of mine). Thought I'd share some pictures I found at allposters.com I've seen one of the Madonna knitting, but couldn't find it on the site. That was the one I really wanted to share.

Knitting Girl, 1869
Knitting Girl, 1869


This one below was so "me" when I worked at the stock brokerage in Toronto. I would often take my hand work (knitting most often) and while away my lunch hour. Not to mention the 2 hours on the GO Train every day. Boy, those were the good days for productivity!

Woman Knitting Among Lunchtime Loungers Relaxing at Base of Statue at New York Public Library
Woman Knitting Among Lunchtime Loungers Relaxing at Base of Statue at New York Public Library



I've included this one because this is a better picture of my hand work now. More often than not, Ella is trying to sit on my lap and "help". I'm going to have to try and teach her to knit because I don't want to discourage her by saying "no" all the time. I worry that she's too young.
Young Mother Sewing
Young Mother Sewing


This one I just like. It's very much like the kind of garb I was gravitating towards when I was part of the SCA.

The Milkmaid, circa 1658-60
The Milkmaid, circa 1658-60


I'm working on my menus and grocery list right now, so I will hopefully get it posted soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need a new project to knit. I would like to knit a little cotton sweater for one of the girls, I'm looking for a design that I like. I knit at night, Hubby drifts off to dreamland and I'm still awake, so I'll knit a bit, I've got lots of dishclothes on hand now. It's hard to choose between the sewing, knitting and scrapbooking! As the holidays grow closer, I'm sure sewing will begin to get the most attention. I've been asked to participate in a juried craft show in Nov. selling my "fancy" pillowcases. I make them from fun prints and some have an machine embroidered insert. What fun pics you found!

Paula said...

You should do a post on your fancy pillowcases. I love "wandering" around allposters.com so many lovely pictures. I wish I could have found the Knitting Madonna.