Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Pickle Season


Well actually, it's a little early for pickle season but the garden is ready. I've already made 5 pints of spicy dill pickles (Colin says there are more cucumbers ready). Since today is the last day of nice temperatures, before the hot and disgusting return, Grandma and I are busy making pickled beets. Daddy thinned out the beet bed and came in with a laundry basket full of beets. We've got 5 jars filled already and 2 large pots cooking away on the stove. That's the only problem with beets, they take so long to cook before you can peel and slice them. I like to preserve food, I just wish it didn't always coincide with the hottest days of the year :)

I haven't got time to put the recipes up right now, but will get back to them soon -I hope

No comments: